This Week in Grace – Nov. 19-25, 2012
This Week in Grace …
The First Word
27 And he said to them, “The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath. 28 So the Son of Man is lord even of the Sabbath.” (Mark 2:27-28 ESV) The coming of Jesus changed everything as all the pictures and foreshadowings found their fulfillment in Jesus as the superior and ultimate reality. In Jesus we find the rest and refreshment that our soul longs for. This salvation rest is not bound up in a day, but rather in the person of Christ who, having finished the work of our redemption, has sat down!
A big thank you to the “out of towners” for their help in the set-up and take-down! Murray’s group is on for this coming week.
If anyone needs a ride on Sunday mornings, please call ahead and we can arrange that. Don’t let a lack of a ride be the reason you miss out!
Don’t miss the “Taste of the World” potluck this coming Sunday at 5:00 pm. if people would like to bring some additional game or activity ideas from your culture for families to enjoy, that could be a lot of fun.
Parents, if you have children in the Gospel Project, don’t miss the story cards and material found below that you can use at home to review the lessons with your kids!
I love what God is doing in Grace through the proclamation of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. May our ongoing journey together in the Gospel according to Mark continue to transform hearts, lives, marriages, and our church for His name’s sake!
Grace and peace,
• Prayer – Sunday mornings at 9:30 am. Join a number of us who gather at the Galaxy Theatre to pray for God’s purposes and fame each Sunday from 9:30 am until around 10:00 am. usually in theatre #6.
- Gospel Community Group Leader’s Training in Saskatoon – Thursday, Nov. 22nd. You need to be registered on the city website.
- “Taste of the World” – Ethnic Potluck Supper – Sunday, Nov. 25th at 5:00 pm. at Faith River’s church building – 2526 Preston Ave.
- Tentative date for Christmas Party and shower for Elijah Burlando is Sunday, Dec. 16th. Looking for a volunteer to organize the details of this event for us. Is there anyone willing to take this on?
• Christmas Pageant – Sunday, Dec. 23rd at the Galaxy. Let Murray know what you, your family, or community group will be bringing for the edification of the church family!
The Gospel Project for Grace Kids
- We still could use another couple of volunteers to round out the schedule, but we are thankful to have enough volunteers to have a great start. A big thank you to all our volunteers who set aside their own agenda to love others in this way. You are a picture of the Gospel.
- Parents’ take home letter can be found HERE. A Unit review for families can be found HERE (Unit 3). Print off a copy to use with your child (ren) at home during the week.
- Have you been connecting with us, and believe God is calling you to be a part of Grace Fellowship. Consider making it “official” and partnering with us. You can find out more about partnering with us HERE.
Gospel Community Group Life
This week’s message, Jesus: Lord of the Sabbath, from Mark 2:23-28 is online. You can get the community group discussion questions in pdf there as well.
Not in a Community Group? We have groups that meet in various places in the city. To get plugged-in connect with us here.
The City Helps
Make sure to update your profile on the city to help people get to know you. Include a picture (that is so helpful for everyone trying to match faces and names and family connections). Some of you have moved or have new phone numbers – please update those as well.
(If you’re not on The City yet click here to get an invitation. You must enter “kiosk” as the user name and “jesussaves” as the password)
From the Blog
The Last Word
16 Therefore let no one pass judgment on you in questions of food and drink, or with regard to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath. 17 These are a shadow of the things to come, but the substance belongs to Christ.
(Colossians 2:16-17 ESV)