This Week in Grace – Dec. 17-23, 2012
This Week in Grace …
The First Word
Moreover, the LORD declares to you that the LORD will make you a house. 12 When your days are fulfilled and you lie down with your fathers, I will raise up your offspring after you, who shall come from your body, and I will establish his kingdom. 13 He shall build a house for my name, and I will establish the throne of his kingdom forever.
(2 Samuel 7:11-13 ESV)
I love this God! Who is like Him – who serves us? He is not a God demanding to be served and to do things for Him; He builds the house of salvation for us. The real offspring of David that is being pointed to here – who would build the real temple of God – in which God would be well pleased – and establish God’s presence with His people forever – would be Jesus. Salvation is not primarily about you doing something for God. Salvation is about knowing something – sitting in stunned awe in the presence of God, realizing what He’s done for you.
You can listen to this entire message on 2 Samuel 7 here: God Will Build You a House You can get the community group discussion questions in pdf there as well.
A big thank you to James for carrying the load for the “out of towers” in helping with the set-up! There was more help for takedown and for that we are thankful. If you missed being able to help with set up on your week, we would really appreciate any help we can get for Dec. 30th as that is a fifth Sunday which is Jacques Gospel Community (and Jacques is away). Murray’s gospel community is on for this Sunday (and every 4th Sunday)
We were able to bless Jody (the Galaxy manager who has been opening for us and serving us each Sunday) with a $50 gift certificate for Midtown Plaza. Be sure to thank her and the other Galaxy staff who serve us when you have opportunity. We want them to think well of Jesus as a result of our church being there.
Our second annual surprise Christmas pageant will be this Sunday, Dec. 23. I am looking forward to this surprise program which always centres on the wonderful Savior that God has provided for us in the person of His own beloved Son.
If anyone would be willing to provide a regular ride for someone, it would be a huge blessing to some who are bussing it to the Galaxy. We could use 3 regulars and maybe a back-up driver or two. Since I am hauling the trailer each week, I am no longer able to provide rides for people.
Grace and peace,
• Prayer – Sunday mornings at 9:30 am. Join a number of us who gather at the Galaxy Theatre to pray for God’s purposes and fame each Sunday from 9:30 am until around 10:00 am. usually in theatre #6.
• Christmas Pageant – Sunday, Dec. 23rd at the Galaxy. Let Murray know what you, your family, or community group will be bringing for the edification of the church family!
- Partnership Sunday and Pizza lunch – Sunday, Jan. 6 is our partnership Sunday as we enter into a new year. This is a great opportunity to partner with us in our vision to be Jesus’ family as servants on His mission of making disciples in and through the Gospel of His amazing grace.
The Gospel Project for Grace Kids
- We have lost a couple of volunteers and will soon lose a few more for a time as some of them are pregnant! So we could use a few more volunteers to round out the schedule, but we are thankful to each of you who volunteer your time to minister to our families and guests in this way. In setting aside your own agenda to love others in this way, you are a picture of the Gospel.
- A Unit review for families can be found HERE (Unit 3) and HERE (Unit 4). Print off a copy to use with your child (ren) at home during the week.
- Have you been connecting with us, and believe God is calling you to be a part of Grace Fellowship. Consider making it “official” and partnering with us. You can find out more about partnering with us HERE.
Gospel Community Group Life
Not in a Community Group? We have groups that meet in various places in the city. Beginning in the new year we will have groups meeting on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays. To get plugged-in connect with us here.
The City Helps
Make sure to update your profile on the city to help people get to know you. Include a picture (that is so helpful for everyone trying to match faces and names and family connections). Some of you have moved or have new phone numbers – please update those as well.
(If you’re not on The City yet click here to get an invitation. You must enter “kiosk” as the user name and “jesussaves” as the password)
From the Blog
The Last Word
18 Then King David went in and sat before the LORD and said, “Who am I, O Lord GOD, and what is my house, that you have brought me thus far? 19 And yet this was a small thing in your eyes, O Lord GOD. You have spoken also of your servant’s house for a great while to come, and this is instruction for mankind, O Lord GOD! 20 And what more can David say to you? For you know your servant, O Lord GOD! 21 Because of your promise, and according to your own heart, you have brought about all this greatness, to make your servant know it.
(2 Sam. 7:18-21)