This Week in Grace – Aug. 5-11, 2013
This Week in Grace …
The First Word
41 And he sat down opposite the treasury and watched the people putting money into the offering box. Many rich people put in large sums. 42 And a poor widow came and put in two small copper coins, which make a penny. 43 And he called his disciples to him and said to them, “Truly, I say to you, this poor widow has put in more than all those who are contributing to the offering box. 44 For they all contributed out of their abundance, but she out of her poverty has put in everything she had, all she had to live on.
(Mark 12:41-44 ESV)
Who does this picture for us? When you gaze at this woman, you will see a reflection – an image of one so beautiful who came in poverty – who entered the temple and wasn’t recognized for who He was – Who was looked upon as if He was insignificant and didn’t matter…and who gave his all – all his livelihood – laying down his life in sacrifice that we could live forever with Him in the true kingdom of love that knows no end.
This is a message that comes at a crucial point for us as a church. May we consider this important warning given to us by Jesus – the great Head of the church. Hope you can join us for the concert of prayer tonight.
You can listen to the entire message on the image seen in the widow here: A Widow out gives them all You can get the community group discussion questions in pdf there as well. You can also watch this message on video.
- Set-up and Take-down – We have been lacking volunteers for our early morning set-up. We need at least 6 volunteers to arrive by 8:15 am. On take down please wait until the music stops which gives 10 min. or so for musicians and sound team to pack up their instruments and pack up mics etc. Once music stops then the takedown team can step in and load trailer. Use that initial time to connect with guests and those new to Grace.
- The monthly rotation:
- – 1st Sunday – Clay’s group
- – 2nd Sunday – Sammy’s group
- – 3rd Sunday – Murray’s group
- – 4th Sunday – Jacques’ group
- – 5th Sunday (if applicable) Out of Towners
▪ Church Picnic: Burlando’s were not able to organize the picnic for this coming Sunday as previously announced. It will move to the 18th and Burlando’s will be posting information on the city.
▪ Deaf Family Camp – This week the Deaf family camp is at Kedleston Beach. If you wish to experience an immersion into the Deaf community come out for a day. There are a few hearing individuals who will be able to translate for you. Talk to Murray for more info.
▪ Grace Kids – We really could use a few more volunteers to serve in this area. If this is something you have been thinking about but haven’t yet put your name forward, please talk to Sammy or Murray. We are also still looking for one or two people to help oversee this ministry.
▪ Leadership Meeting – Our tri-weekly leadership meeting, which includes all Gospel community leaders is this Saturday morning. If you have anything you would like us to address, please talk to your Gospel community group leader.
▪ Redemption Groups – Beginning this fall, we are looking at launching Redemption Groups for both men and women. We are limiting the number of participants to no more than 8. If you are a guy and interested in this or learning more please contact Murray, or Bo, or Erwin. Women interested in the redemption group, should contact either Kim or Lindy.
- Redeeming Your Marriage – This is a 6 part bi-weekly class for couples about to be married or who are married. Whether you just want a reminder of how the Gospel can transform your marriage or whether your marriage is on life-support – we are praying that this group might be timely for many. Larry and Jan will be leading this group. Again, we will be limiting the size of the group to no more than 8 couples. The course will run on the last two Sunday afternoons in the months of September, October, and November.
- Prayer – Sunday mornings at 9:30 am. Join a number of us who gather at the Galaxy Theatre to pray for God’s purposes and fame each Sunday from 9:30 am until around 9:50 am.. This is not just a religious activity that is a nice option. We are fools if we think we can accomplish any thing of true and lasting value apart from Jesus and the work of the Holy Spirit in and through us
We are on mission each and every Sunday (as well as in our work places, neighbourhoods all week long). I hope you view yourself a key part of the mission Jesus has for us in the Galaxy Theatre, where each of us gather to serve and gospel others. The Holy Spirit is at work and He has been sent to work through you. Prayerfully submit to Him, listening for His direction as to the people He wants you to love and minister to. Gather contact information and connect with new comers during the week, and maybe invite them to your Gospel community gathering. We are on this mission together. If you are finding yourself slipping into spectator mode – and participating as a consumer in convenience; you can repent at this very moment and get in the game. When it is all about Jesus – you will find yourself focusing on others and with joy joining Jesus is this great kingdom adventure for the glory of God.
Grace and peace,
- Have you been connecting with us, and believe God is calling you to be a part of Grace Fellowship. Consider making it “official” and partnering with us. You can find out more about partnering with us HERE.
Gospel Community Group Life
Not in a Community Group? We have groups that meet in various places in the city. Beginning in the new year we will have groups meeting on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays. To get plugged-in connect with us here.
The City Helps
Make sure to update your profile on the city to help people get to know you. Include a picture (that is so helpful for everyone trying to match faces and names and family connections). Some of you have moved or have new phone numbers – please update those as well.
Did you know that if you are on the city you can invite someone else? All you need is there e-mail. Go into the group to which you wish to invite them and click on the “people” icon. From there select “invite someone.”
(If you’re not on The City yet click here to get an invitation. You must enter “kiosk” as the user name and “jesussaves” as the password)
From the Blog
The Last Word
“Beware of the scribes” (Mark 12:38)
Categories: Blog, This Week in Grace