This Week in Grace – Aug. 20-26
This Week in Grace …
The First Word
13 And I heard a voice from heaven saying, “Write this: Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord from now on.” “Blessed indeed,” says the Spirit, “that they may rest from their labors, for their deeds follow them!” (Revelation 14:13 ESV)
Rest! What at precious word of promise! There is coming a day when we will struggle no more. This rest is guaranteed by Jesus who has accomplished the victory on our behalf, so that we can enter into His rest. I love the way James put it on Sunday. This was not a nail biter nor did it go into double overtime. This was a triumph. In fact that would make a great summary for the book of Revelation: The Triumph of the Lamb! This is great incentive for us to labor now. We have a mission. For those of us who are among the “blessed”, what are we doing to bring as many as possible with us?
• Leeland Concert A number of us are planning on taking in the Leeland concert at the Saskatoon Christian Centre Building this Friday evening. Tickets are available at Scott’s Parable Book Store for $15 plus tax. Consider joining us for an evening of being reminded of the wonder of our God and the amazing Gospel of Jesus, if you are able.
• Concert of Prayer on Sunday, September 16th. We have booked 5:30 pm. to 6:45 pm. at Hope Fellowship’s building where there is also a gym where kids can play. This is a call for the entire church family to come together for prayer and fasting as we look in humble dependance to our God to glorify Himself in and through us in the months ahead.
• U of S Outreach on Tuesday, Sept. 4 from 9:30 am. to 12:30 pm. We are looking for volunteers to help us set up and man the table that we have booked for the university orientation for first year students. This is a great opportunity to meet and connect with students, many of whom will be new to Saskatoon. We hope to bring awareness of GraceFellowship and our Jesus-exalting, Gospel-centred vision. If you are interested in participating please talk to Sammy or Murray.
- Grace Kids: We are looking for 5 more volunteers to serve (once every 6 weeks) in our Kid’s ministry. We are planning to begin the “Gospel Project” – a Gospel-centered children’s program as soon as we have 24 committed adult volunteers. We currently have 19. (Thanks to those who have just recently stepped up to volunteer!) We will continue to have our nursery in the Party Rooms in the Galaxy, but will be running the Gospel Project in one of the theatres for the older children – from around ages 3-8. Thus, we need a minimum of 4 workers each week.
- Moving: James and Sarah need some help with unloading the moving truck in Rosthern. If two or three “heavy lifters” could help out around 10:30 am on Saturday, Aug. 25, it would be a huge help to them. You can contact James on the “city” website for details.
- Moving: Cody and Ashley will need some help moving within the city on Wednesday, Aug. 29. Contact either of them on the city for more info.
• Greeters: We are also looking for people willing to serve as greeters to welcome people as they enter the theatre.
- Have you considered getting Gospel-centered Bible training at Porterbrook Saskatoon? Porterbrook is Grace Fellowship’s missional and theological training centre. Furthermore Porterbrook is for everyone! Plan on being part in 2012-2013! The training begins Sept. 15th, so the deadline for applications is fast approaching. For more information and to apply check out Porterbrook Saskatoon
- Welcome table and book table: The past two Sundays, you may have noticed that I set up a welcome table outside the theatre entrance. We will have church brochures, Gospel Community Group booklets and info, partnership info, etc at this table. I thought it would be easier for new-comers to be directed to a table for information about Grace.
- We will also have a few Gospel-centered books for people to sign out on loan – a mobile library. Why buy when you can borrow? If you are interested in helping out at the welcome table, please let Murray know.
- Have you been connecting with us, and believe God is calling you to be a part of Grace Fellowship. Consider making it “official” and partnering with us. You can find out more about partnering with us HERE.
- This Sunday, Murray McLellan will be preaching on “the ultimate exodus.” I would encourage you to read through Revelation chapter 15-18 in preparation for our study.
Gospel Community Group Life
This week’s message, The Grapes of Wrath, from Revelation 14 is online. You can get the community group discussion questions in pdf there as well.
Not in a Community Group? We have groups that meet in various places in the city. To get plugged-in connect with us here.
The City Helps
(If you’re not on The City yet click here to get an invitation. You must enter “kiosk” as the user name and “jesussaves” as the password)
From the Blog
The Last Word
12 Here is a call for the endurance of the saints, those who keep the commandments of God and their faith in Jesus.
(Revelation 14:12 ESV)